Preview for up and coming album “Resolution” – visit YouTube link above for full details 🙂
Live jam proof of concept for development of a new track.
Gear used: Novation Circuit, Bass Station II, Arturia DrumBrute, Keystep, Korg Minilogue, Electribe 2 Sampler, Kaoss Pad Quad, Roland AIRA MX-1, AIRA TR-8, AIRA VT-3, Boutique JU-06, Boutique JX-03, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Albeton Live, Push, Strymon BlueSky.
All work is original and copyright (c) 2017 ranzee
Official video for the single Forever from the up-coming album Resolution, released on iTunes and all other good digital music providers.
Gear list: Moog Sub37, Roland JD-XI, Korg Minilogue, Korg Electribe ER-1, Roland TR-8, Arturia Microbrute, Arturia Beatstep Pro sequencer, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Maschine Studio, PolyKBii, Roland MX-1, Presonus StudioLive 16, recorded in Ableton Live.
You can purchase the single from:
Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/music/a…
Amazon Music: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_srch…
Interact with me:
PLEASE NOTE: I generally LIKE for LIKE, SHARE for SHARE and SUB for SUB – plus I love COMMENTS!
Video made by me (Ranzee), except for some generated images which come from Plane9 software.
The Korg Electribe 2 Sampler has been out for 2 years now. I wanted to put together an article that sums up some of the recent changes, problems still outstanding and tips and tricks all in one place.
I plan on doing a YouTube video covering this too – so we can have both searchable text here and visual guidance over on the YT!
Firmware v2.02 details
As of writing the firmware version for the Korg Electribe 2 Sampler is v2.02 which adds the following features/fixes:
- Chaining patterns
- Undo function
- Original value indicator
- Improved loading and exporting times for samples
Issues to still be resolved & features needed
However, scouting around the ‘Net you’ll find there’s plenty of wishlists for this sampler. Some aren’t possible due to the hardware limitations.
- Having to re-import user samples after power cycle.
- Voice stealing – limitation to total tracks even when not using FX or polyphony
- Note cut-off on pattern change – really effects live playing. Notes should continue to tail.
- Attack problems – small minor adjustments aren’t possible, it seems like there’s some OS lag where jumping occurs. Filter is affected the most by this.
- Knob improvements (jumping)
- Re-triggering glitch – PCM sounds click when retriggered
- Song mode lacks features – not chaining – re-introduce features of older electribes for song mode.
- Arpeggiator needs control for up/down/random/order (standard setup)
- Key transpose in sequencer mode
- Decay & Release – separate these – access Release via Shift
- Preview sample on select for loading/import
- Sample edit should show graphic of sample – similar to MPC-style
- Add a timestretch feature
- Sequencer edit – should include gate and velocity modes for the pads
- Set velocity numerically (1-127)
Make your samples mono and speed up the recording to save sample memory space. Even today, this sampler suffers the same problem that the older MPC samplers had – memory limitations! Speeding up your sample (double + double speed) – and then down-pitching when using the sample saves memory space.
- Have a few SD cards with only EXPORT-ALL-SAMPLE and EXPORT-ALL-PATTERNS loaded on them
- Store no more than 100 samples in a folder on the SD card (E2S slows down if more)
- Keep sample names short – makes it easier to find them on the device
- For projects, you could create a folder on the SD card where you can store your patterns and samples – for making it easier to find them.
- Use EXPORT-ALL-SAMPLE to ensure that you have the samples load when you power on later.
This image is handy to print and keep nearby. It shows what SHIFT+Pad functions are (not printed on the hardware):
Or you can just purchase a 3rd party skin (not affiliated with me in any-way-shape-or-form):
Convert your Electribe 2 to an Electribe 2 Sampler (e2->e2s)
Do so at your own risk, but it is possible to have an E2S if you only own the E2 by following the instructions on this site.
- Drum samples can be made a single audio file bound together in banks, then you can splice all the hits and only use one sample slot (to a max of 64 hits).
- Part Mute – tap twice to solo tracks
- Factory patterns have hidden parts muted – un-mute them to discover more stuff!
- Part parameter settings can be discovered “non-destructively” by using the < and > arrow keys.
- Use Chord mode + Scale to get some cool extra notes! (Poly parts only)
- Sequencer|Keyboard|Chord + pad will go straight to the part you want (not having the scroll <> through each part to get there slower).
- Use Gate Arp and select multiple pads – then you can use this pad selection to part mute (for example) – a great hack!
- Use the part length to create shorter parts and form arpeggiator-like sounds.
The Parameter Guide (is your friend):
Information thanks to the following sites:
- Korg forums
- YouTube (loopop channel)
- FaceBook users group
- My own personal usage of the E2S