This week we’ll be looking at some of the weirdest mods to gear you’ve ever seen. Have you got one you want to share?
Weirdest mods image gallery (see below)
In the news:
Din Sync RE-909
Din Sync are not strangers for creating awesome Roland retro DIY Kits. We’ve shown a glimpse at this before – but now there’s a lot more information, a video and you can order it as of today! This is an authentic replica of the TR-909 – and is purposely created for those who want exactly that and even can be used to repair their existing vintage units.
Price/Avail: $ pre-order now via kumptronics http://www.kumptronics.com/
Video: (play mp4 in launch)
Steda Electronics TR-909 DIY Clone
SE brings another TR-909 clone, but this one will come as a DIY project. They’ve just shown the video teaser so far – so info is a little sparse at present. However, this may interest those who are looking for a lockdown project!
Price/Avail: TBA (sigh)
Night Owl Industries Arcane
Arcane is a 5 voice analog synth with a unique interface allowing the user to interact directly via arcade-style buttons and sliders. It can be controlled manually or via CV. The layout is bilateral (not sequential) – which is mapped to your thumb & fingers (in a sense). Sounds are thick backing chords or custom style instrument which may take a little to master.
Price/Avail: $300 USD / Pre-order – ships 30 days
UK based company have released a new bit crusher pedal – the 8BitM8. Features 8-bit AVR microcontroller which has modes for 4, 6 and 8-bit crunchy LoFi audio. It also has a simple Lowpass Filter.
Price/Avail: $185 US / Now
- 00:00 Introductions
- 05:26 Funny Side
- 09:00 News from the Geekery
- 09:44 RE-909 – Din Sync
- 17:55 TR-909 clone – Steda Electronics
- 19:50 Arcane – Night Owl Ind.
- 25:33 8BitM8 – MIDIerror
- 30:22 Ebay Scams and Price Watch
- 36:34 Weirdest gear mods
- 51:17 Ranzee’s rant
- + other topics of discussion
- Daren T. Housse: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLPHxpZgFKKE1wkG9ndto3A
- Andrew Brooks: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2-Zid0Igex1fJ8i6Crwudg
- Robbie Puricelli: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_FmYXUTm6eedzGOS7OM18A and you can read his blog at https://www.failedmuso.com/
- Night Owl Industries Arcane: https://youtu.be/KlJ6EpfHvaw
- MIDIerror 8BitM8: https://youtu.be/sLvN4VpCjE8
- Din Sync: https://shop.re-303.com/
- Steda Electronics: https://www.facebook.com/stedaelectronics/
- Night Owl Industries: https://www.nightowl.industries/arcanesynth
- MIDIerror: https://www.tindie.com/products/midierror/8bitm8-hardware-bit-crusher/
- deCoda deal: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6057-deCoda
Notice: None of these companies have sponsored this video.